Job Title: Front Desk Clerk
Check-in/check-out hotel guests courteously and efficiently; process all payments according to
established hotel requirements. Provide information and services to any guest or visitor
professionally, courteously and efficiently.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To
perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform
each duty proficiently.
Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the
health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
Qualifications: Essential: 1) High school graduate.
2) Ability to compute accurate mathematical calculations.
3) Ability to clearly and pleasantly communicate in English
with guests/visitors, management and co-workers to their
understanding, both in person and by telephone.
4) Ability to provide legible communication and directions.
Desirable: 1) Some college or training in hospitality industry.
2) Previous experience as Front Desk Agent.
3) Previous cashiering experience.
4) Knowledge of computers.
Skills: Essential: 1) Ability to input and access data in computer.
2) Ability to understand guest inquiries and provide
3) Ability to promote positive relations with all individuals
who approach the Front Desk and by telephone.
4) Ability to focus on guests' needs, remaining calm and
5) Ability to think clearly, quickly and make concise decisions.
6) Ability to prioritize, organize and follow up.
7) Ability to work well under pressure of # arrivals/departures within any given period of time.
8) Ability to focus attention on details.
9) Ability to maintain confidentiality of all guests and hotel information.
10) Ability to ensure security of guest room access.
11) Ability to remain stationary at assigned post for extended.
12) Ability to work cohesively with other departments and co-workers.
13) Ability to work well under pressure of monitoring all employee.
14) Ability to input and access data in telephone system.
15) Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of all
Desirable: 1) Previous guest relations training
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other job related duties may be assigned.
1) Maintain complete knowledge at all times of:
a) All hotel features/services, hours of operation.
b) All room types, numbers, layout, decor, appointments and location.
c) All room rates, special packages and promotions.
d) Daily house count and expected arrivals/departures.
e) Room availability status for any given day.
f) Scheduled daily group activities.
g) Yield management strategies that are in place.
2) Maintain complete knowledge and comply with all hotel and departmental policies and
3) Obtain assigned bank and ensure accuracy of contracted monies. Keep bank secure at all
4) Meet with supervisor to review daily assignments and priorities.
5) Meet with departing Front Desk Agent to review business status and follow up items.
6) Access all function of computer system according to established procedures and standards.
7) Set up work station with necessary supplies; maintain cleanliness throughout shift.
8) Answer department telephone within 3 rings, using correct greeting and telephone etiquette.
9) Promote positive guest relations to all individuals approaching the Front Desk.
10) Accommodate all requests for information in a congenial manner.
11) Process all guest check-ins according to established hotel requirements:
a) Confirm reservation in system and review all noted information.
b) For guests without a reservation, sell a room type agreed upon.
c) Register guest in computer and generate a registration card.
d) Verify registration card information with guest.
e) Obtain back-up information for guest credit/payment method and input into system;
collect cash when designated.
f ) Assign guest room.
g) Advise guest of any messages, mail, faxes, etc. received for them.
h) Inform guest of room safe and mini-bar key and room key procedures.
i ) Communicate services and amenities included in packages to guests on packages.
j) Obtain proper identification for tax exempt guests and attach form to registration card.
k ) Obtain guest signature for designated paperwork.
12) Use signature training according to hotel standards to maximize revenue and upsell features
13) Communicate V.I.P. arrivals to designated personnel for escort and delivery of amenities.
14) Set up accurate accounts for each guest checking in according to their requirements (i.e.,
share-withs, separate room/tax/incidentals, comp).
15) File registration cards and vouchers in bucket by room number.
16) Extend every effort to obtain satisfactory alternative accommodations for guests with
reservations when the hotel cannot accommodate them. Follow established procedures for quoting rates.
17) Accommodate room changes expediently.
18) Handle guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
19) Document all guest requests, complaints or problems immediately and notify designated
department/personnel for resolving the situation. Follow up within minutes to ensure
completion and guest satisfaction.
20) Take, record and relay messages accurately, completely and legibly. Distribute hotel
personnel messages to appropriate individuals.
21) Offer detailed information on the voice mail system to callers and guests wishing to leave
22) Accept and record wake-up call requests; deliver to PBX.
23) Issue safe deposit boxes to guests and ensure security of keys.
24) Distribute all guest mail.
25) Monitor, send and distribute guest faxes.
26) Document and confirm reservations and cancellations.
27) Block rooms in the computer and follow through on designated requirements.
28) Pre-register designated guests and prepare key packets.
29) Communicate pertinent guest information to designated departments/personnel (i.e., special
requests, amenity delivery).
30) Generate, print and distribute daily reports to designated departments/personnel.
31) Resolve discrepancies on the room status report with Housekeeping.
32) Match the bucket check to in-house guest ledger report; report discrepancies to manager.
33) Process all check-outs according to established hotel requirements.
a) Resolve any late charges.
b) Present folio to guest and resolve any disputed charges.
c) Settle guest accounts following Accounting procedures.
d) Retrieve guest room key from guest.
e) Request guest comments on their stay.
f) Ask guest about future reservation needs.
34) Process express check-outs throughout the shift.
35) Handle requests for late check-outs according to established hotel procedures.
36) Conduct group check-ins/outs according to established hotel procedures.
37) Assist all departments/executives in obtaining appropriate information regarding groups,
inventory and guest information.
38) Ensure the safe keeping of keys at the Front Desk.
39) Adhere to all cashiering procedures:
a) Process adjustment vouchers, paid-outs, correction vouchers, miscellaneous charges.
b) Make change for guests.
c) Cash guests' personal checks/travelers checks.
d) Post charges.
e) Settle room accounts.
f) Run closing reports.
g) Count bank at end of shift.
h) Complete designated cashier reports.
I) Balance receipts.
j) Drop receipts.
k) Secure bank.
l) Match the high balance report to in-house guest ledger, obtain more authorization if
40) Legibly document pertinent information in the guest to desk log book.
41) Respond to incoming calls within minutes, using correct salutations and telephone
42) Monitor telephone system problems, maintain log of such and coordinate corrections with
the telephone company representative.